Emblematic Antarctica – Ushuaia
12-day/10-night cruise on board Starting at 10 260$ US per person
Departure dates: several dates in January, February, November and December 2023 as well as January 2024
Night in Buenos Aires + flight Buenos Aires/Ushuaia + visit + flight Ushuaia/Buenos Aires
PONANT invite you on a polar expedition cruise to the heart of the icy realm that is the Antarctic Peninsula. Embark on an unforgettable 11-day voyage and succumb to the enchantment of the breathtaking landscapes inhabited by astonishing wildlife.
The beginning of your cruise will be marked by the crossing of the mythical Drake Passage, during which you will probably be escorted by several albatrosses and Cape petrels, true sentinels of these often-choppy waters.
Your ship will then reach the White Continent, realm of the unexpected. Weather and ice conditions permitting, this extreme environment where nature reigns supreme will reveal to you its most beautiful secrets through numerous discoveries.
On this uninhabited land that was only explored in the 19th century, your encounters with the wildlife will undoubtedly be one of the highlights of your experience. The Gentoo, Adélie and chinstrap penguins, humpback whales, seals and seabirds will provide you with cherished lifelong memories.
Every day, whether on land, aboard your ship or during a Zodiac® outing expedition, you will be surrounded by a grandiose scenery, between icebergs to ice floe and ancient glaciers.
We are privileged guests in these extreme lands where we are at the mercy of weather and ice conditions. Landings at certain sites and wildlife viewing cannot be guaranteed and vary from day to day, making each PONANT cruise unique. The captain and the expedition leader will do everything possible to make your experience as rich as possible, while complying with the safety rules and instructions imposed by the IAATO.
- An expedition cruise to discover the Antarctic Peninsula and its most beautiful secrets, in the heart of a sumptuous natural setting, to meet the inhabitants of these places.
- Outings and shore visits in zodiac inflatables with a team of experienced naturalist guides.
- Explore the magic of Antarctica with a sea kayak adventure. Led by experienced, State-Certified kayak guides, you will skim the water’s surface amid the ice. Full professional equipment is provided, including tamdem kayak, carbon paddle, full-body drysuit, lifejacket, AIS beacon.
- Hiking opportunity.
- Visiting research stations and former whaling stations
- Lectures and information sessions hosted by our naturalist-guides, covering wildlife, history, geopolitics, the great explorers, climate, environmental protection.
- The landscapes: a multitude of drifting icebergs, ice floes, imposing glaciers and tall, snow-covered mountains.
- Wildlife: humpback whales, Gentoo penguins, Adélie penguins, chinstrap penguins, leopard seals, crabeater seals, Weddell seals and numerous seabirds.
- For more comfort, your cruise package includes an overnight in Buenos Aires the day before your embarkation and the flights to/from Ushuaia.
Polar expedition, the "all inclusive" includes :
- Accommodation in a luxury stateroom
- All meals as mentionned in the itinerary
- Open Bar: from the moment of embarkation, and throughout the cruise, a wide selection of drinks (mineral water, cold drinks, wines, beer, Charles Heidsieck champagne, spirits, coffee, tea) is served at discretion and at any time of the day. Some premium alcoholic beverages presented on the menu are not included in the Open Bar
- Free Wi-Fi internet access 24 hours a day*.
- Access to all common areas
- Access to the hammam and the fitness room
- Zodiac expeditions
- Taxes and port fees
Contact our travel agent
Preparation of your cruise
The day before boarding – Buenos Aires
Meet and greet at the hotel by the local Ponant representative. Check-in from late morning.
You will be welcomed in a 4* hotel. Your room will be made available at the end of the morning.
Lunch on your own and time at leisure in the afternoon. Dinner.
Overnight at the hotel.
Embarkation Day – Buenos Aires/Ushuaia
An early morning breakfast will be served before leaving to the airport for you flight Buenos Aires – Ushuaia.
Transfer to the airport. Flight Buenos Aires/Ushuaia selected by PONANT in economy class. Flight duration: about 3 hours 30 minutes. Meet and greet at the airport (English-speaking assistance)
Depending on your choice made when booking your cruise (options not combinable):
You will be transferred to a restaurant for lunch.
When booking the cruise, guests willing to visit the Tierra del Fuego National Park will be able to sign up for an optional group excursion, with extra cost. If you decide to do so, please note that immediately upon arrival at Ushuaia airport, you will leave towards the Park where you will have lunch before starting the tour.
It was created in 1960 and now covers 63,000 hectares (155 670 acres). It is located in the extreme southwest of the province of the same name on the Beagle Channel. One of his entries stands slightly over 6 miles from Ushuaia. Mountainous landscapes, lagoons, bogs, and rivers draw a picturesque scenery reinforced by the southern position of the park itself. The Darwin Mountains, which represent the southern part of the Andes Mountains are mainly responsible for such landscape. The Park is only partly accessible to the public and this tour will provide you with the opportunity to discover the local flora and sub-Antarctic landscapes. If you get lucky, you may encounter beavers, dams, birds, wild orchids, etc. This is a true paradise for Nature Lovers!
Lunch will be served in a local restaurant inside the park.
Please note that the Tierra del Fuego excursion is subject to a minimum of participants: if this number is not reached, our operator will not be able to guarantee the departure – In this case, you will be given the option to join the “Lunch in Ushuaia” programme.
At the end of your visit, you will return to Ushuaia and the port, for embarkation on your vessel
Disembarkation Day – Ushuaia/Buenos Aires
Meet and greet at the port (English-speaking assistance).
Transfer to the airport in time for check-in.
Flight Ushuaia/Buenos Aires selected by PONANT, in economy class.
Flight duration: about 3 hours 30 minutes.
Your program includes:
- Transfers as mentioned in the programme.
- One night in a 4* hotel in Buenos Aires the day before embarkation.
- Early check-in available from late morning.
- Return flight Buenos Aires/Ushuaia/Buenos Aires selected by PONANT, in economy class.
- Services of local guides, in Ushuaia.
- Services of local guides in Ushuaia.
- Meals as mentioned in the programme and beverage package.
- Transfers as mentioned in the programme.
For the optional excursion to Tierra del Fuego National Park, the program includes: (Please note choose this excursion, it is not combinable with “Lunch in Ushuaia” programme and therefore replaces it)
- The excursion by local bus and the entrance fees to the National Park
- The lunch including beverage package.
- Transfers and visits mentioned in the program.
- The services of a local English speaking guide
Your program does not include:
- Transfer between airport and hotel in Buenos Aires, the day before embarkation.
- Personal expenses (drinks, meals, visits…).
- Other meals and services not mentioned in the program.
- The official currency of the country is the Argentinian Peso. You will be able to make most of your purchases in USD (in small denominations) or by credit card, accepted in most hotels, shopping centres and boutiques. You will also be able to retrieve Pesos from the ATM’s.
- Summer season in Buenos Aires: temperatures may be very hot, but often between 68 °F (20 °C) and 95 °F (35 °C).
- Summer season in Ushuaia: temperatures vary between 41 °F (5 °C) and 65 °F (15 °C)
- We recommend you wear warm clothing and comfortable walking shoes.
- The duration and order of the visits are given as an indication and are subject to change.
Photo and video credits ©Ponant